Ah, love – it makes the world go round, it has been said. And music, on the other hand, “hath charms to soothe the savage breast.” So what happens when you put these two powerful forces together? We have something the world loves to see – a musical power couple.
Here are some of the most notable power couples of music, in no particular order:
1. Yoko Ono and John Lennon. This is so classic, it hardly needs explaining. John Lennon is a music icon who will remain the stuff of legends for as long as rock ‘n’ roll exists in this world. Yoko Ono is an artist and musician in her own right; she was also the woman that John Lennon so publicly adored and gave his heart to.
Ono was Lennon’s soul mate, his faithful companion in his last years, his biggest fan. She was by Lennon’s side that fateful day he was assassinated. She has since kept the fires of Lennon’s crusades burning. If ever there was a musical power couple that we will hear about forever, it is this one.
2. Sonny and Cher. Here is another classic team-up, though sadly, it didn’t last. Sonny Bono and Cherilyn LaPiere met in 1962, when Sonny was working at Gold Star Studios in Hollywood. They were married in 1964 and put out two songs in the same year, but their stardom did not come until 1965, when their single “I Got You Baby” catapulted to number 1. This was followed by several more hits, and Sonny and Cher became a household name.
Unfortunately, their married life wasn’t as successful as their professional one.
In 1974, after several years of domestic turbulence, they divorced on less-than-amicable terms. In 1998, Sonny died in a ski accident. But Cher lives on and still shines in her own terms, albeit less brightly than before. Perhaps, it is because the world really cannot imagine Cher without Sonny. For us, it will always be “Sonny and Cher.”
3. Jennifer Lopez and Mark Anthony. If you’ve ever seen J-Lo and Mark Anthony perform a song together, you won’t find it hard to imagine the kind of chemistry the two of them could have. This couple sizzles on stage. They seem to light each other’s fire. If only marriage could look like this in the four walls of the domestic abode, probably nobody would ever get divorce.
But the stage is not the home, and performance is not the same as everyday reality. In 2011, after a seven-year marriage, the couple announced their separation. This, however, does not mean they do not perform together on stage anymore, so even if they are no longer a couple in real life, they still remain an amazing power couple in the music industry.
4. Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber. If there’s anything more interesting to watch than love, it is young love. Justin Bieber, born in 1994, released his first full-length album My World 2.0 in 2010. By 2011, he was already the recipient of the several awards, including Artist of the Year from the American Music Awards and Top New Artist from the Billboard Music Awards.
It was also in 2011 that his romantic relationship with Selena Gomez was revealed. Gomez, who has been in show business since she was seven, has starred in several films, won several music awards of her own, and was designated UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2008.
Of course, the two are not married; still, they are arguably the most watched music power couple of 2012.
5. Beyoncé and Jay-Z. They have worked together on several songs, such as “’03 Bonnie & Clyde” in 2002, “Crazy in Love” in 2003, and “Déjà Vu” in 2006; most of these became huge hits. They have each won several music awards. In 2006, Time magazine listed them as the Most Powerful Couple in their 100 Most Influential People list. In 2008, they were married. And in 2012, Beyoncé gave birth to their first child, Blue Ivy.
They are, undoubtedly, the music industry’s most powerful couples today. We can only hope they continue making good music together and manufacturing CDs for a long, long time.
Next Page >> music therapy activities